like candles, lights and Christmas tress are
interesting to make and a joy to behold the final
outcome. These decorations set the mood for the
festivities and remind us that it is a season to
celebrate and enjoy ourselves. But if precautions are
not taken then these decorations can cause fires,
injuries and death. Given below are a few safety
precautions to follow during the holiday season.
If you are buying an artificial tree, ensure
that it has a "Fire Resistant" label. This does not
mean that the tree will not catch fire; it only means that it
is more resistant to burning.
When you are buying a live tree, ensure that
it is fresh. If the tree is fresh you will not be able to pull
the needles from the branches. When it is tapped on the ground
needles will not fall off. If the truck is fresh it will be
sticky with resin.
Inside your home position the tree away from
the fireplace and away from radiators. Heated rooms will dry a
live tree quickly. Make sure that the tree stand if filled
with water. Place tree away from doorways and areas that are
used often in the house.
Use lights that have been tested for safety
by a recognized laboratory. Use lights that have plugs and
fuses. Use lights labeled for outdoor use for outdoors and
those meant for indoor use indoors.
Check lights both old and new for cracked or
broken sockets, bare wires or loose connections before using
Replace damaged bulbs immediately. Use same
Use extension cords that are rated for
Use insulated tape to fasten lights outdoors
to trees, house wall etc.
Turn off outdoor light when you go to bed or
leave the house.
Candles and Other Decorations:
Use fire resistant material to decorate the
tree. Use nonleaded material for decoration, as leaded
material is dangerous if children ingest it.
Burning candles should be kept in view at all
times. Place them out of reach of children.
Do not place lighted candles near trees or
other greens. Use non-flammable holders.
If you have small children at home, then try
not to use decorations that look like candy. As this might
tempt them to eat it. Do not use decoration with small
removable parts and the children could eat them up.
While using artificial snow spray, read
instructions on the can carefully to prevent lung irritation.
"Fire salts" produce colored flames
when thrown into wood fires. They contain metals and are
poisonous if ingested. Therefore keep them away from children.
Do not throw wrapping paper into the
fireplace, as they will burst into flames suddenly causing a
Flying sparks may cause flammable material
around the fireplace to catch fire. Prevent this by placing a
screen around the fireplace.