Vastu is gaining popularity in India and people are turning
towards the vastu experts for correction of vastu dosha in their
homes, factories and business institutions. It consumes lot of
money to make alterations after completion of construction work.
However, this waste of money can be avoided if simple tips given
below are followed without having any expertise in the subject.
Important Vastu Tips
1. Take care while buying a piece
of land: the land should slope to the north or east.
2. Northern and eastern portions of
land should have open space.
3. A house should be independent
and its owner should be able to walk around its perimeter.
4. Always dig the well in the
5. Best place for an
air-conditioning plant to locate is in the south-east direction.
Vaastu norms do not favor construction of basement in a house.
6. Build a staircase having an
uneven number of stairs ( 5, 7, 9, 11 ) which runs clockwise
7. Never have a south-western
entrance because it spells financial ruin.
8. Stock goods for sale in the
wind-buffeted north-west direction.
9. The master bedroom should be in
the south-west direction as stability is provided by this
10. Construct bathroom in the east
11. Water should drain out to north
or east. Hence, slope of the floor of bathroom should be towards
north or east.
12. Kitchen must be built in the
south-east corner and burner of the gas stove should be kept in
the south-east corner of the kitchen room. The housewife cooking
the food should face towards the east.
13. Wash basin should be in the
north-east corner of the kitchen.
14. Shelves for utensils and other
utilities should be placed on the south or west side
15. Head of the family should have
a bed-room in the south-west direction and it should be larger
than other bed rooms.
16. Bed-room for unmarried children
may be built on the east side
17. Bed room for the unmarried
youths or for guests should be in the north-west side.
18. Bed room for the young couples
should be in the north
19. Bed room should never be made
in the north-east corner.
20. Bed should be placed in the
east or south portion of the room
21. Do not place electronic gadgets
in the north-east direction as they may negate the positive flow
of cosmic energies. Place them in the south or south-west
22. One should never sleep with
head towards north. Head of the person while sleeping should
remain towards south and feet towards north.
23. Dinning room should be in the
24. Dinning table should be
arranged in the south-west or north-west portion of the room
25. Fridge etc (electrical
appliances) should be kept in south-east corner.
26. Person while taking meals
should face either towards east or north.
27. Pooja room should be built in
the North-east corner. One should worship facing north or east.
28. Idols or pictures of the
deities should be placed on a high platform or a cup - board in
the north or east side.
29. There should not be any toilet
or kitchen above/below or adjacent to the pooja room
30. Toilet should be built between
south and south-west, or in North West.
31. Attached bath-toilet should be
provided towards the north or west of the room.
32. Seat in the toilet should be
fixed such that a person may sit facing north or south.
33. Study room should be between
west and south-west.
34. The person should sit facing
north or east while studying.
35. Sit on the south-west side of
an office and face north.
36. Book-shelf should be placed
along the north-east corner only.
37. A common room should be
provided in the space between east and north-east which can be
used for entertaining the visitors and guests, or a place where
all family members can sit together.
38. It can also be used as a bed
room for unmarried children or as a store room for common
39. There should be no shoes or
slippers lying around outside the main door of your house.
40. Cover the TV with a plastic
table cloth after watching it.
41. There should be no mirrors
opposite your bed or at the side of your bed.
42. Place an indoor water fountain
in your home,
43. In your kitchen, ensure that
opposite stove there is no refrigerator, washing machine,
washbasin and toilet.
44. Donít allow children to sleep
on mattresses on the floor. It causes young children to fall sick
45. Donít have a marble table in
your house. Replace it with a wooden table.
46. Do not use a red sofa set
47. Always open your bedroom
windows at least once 20 minutes a day.
48. Ground floor is the best for
living in a building constructed as per Vaastu norms.
49. In a non-Vaastu building, the
person living on the uppermost floor (away from earth) is least
affected by Vaastu effects due to weak magnetic influence of the
50. Keeping the north and east
uncluttered helps multiply and invite positive energies.
General Vastu Tips
Your head should be towards the east or south
The rooms in the south should never have
ceiling low as compared to ceilding of the rooms in east and
Shoes and slippers should not be scattered
all over the house, as this leads to feud.
Don't keep dirty clothes with the washed
One should never sleep under exposed beam as
it brings ill fortune.
Don't a keep jug or jar of water near the
telephone. The electric rays produced from telephone leave bad
effect on the water. Your face should be towards the east
while cooking food. The cupboard containing food articles
should be towards your right.
The ceiling of the poojaroom should be lower
than the ceiling of all the other rooms in the house.
There should be no noise while opening the
doors and windows especially the entrance door from
hinges etc.To remove the noise keep the hinges well oiled.
A picture of Lord Ganesha and Saraswati is
good in study room.
Place vegetables in a dish after cutting
them. If they are kept on floor their nourishing substance
will be adsorbed by the floor.
The house should always be kept need and
clean and all the wastage etc., should be dumped or stored in
west of the house.
To prevent the house from evil-eyes, seven
green chillies and lemon should be hung at the main entrance
of the house, shop etc.
Change the bed-sheets during day time.
Comb and other beauty aids should be kept
neatly at the right place.
A cut-out in the roof should be provided in
the northeast to ensure proper ventilation of the house. This
factor works as a natural air-conditioner for the house.
There should be a separate towel for every
member of the family and for guests.
One should never provide three doors on a
single wall, especially in the front of the house.
One should never construct circular stairs in
It is very auspicious to view rising sun
after taking bath in the morning.
A blue bed sheet should never be used
One should always wear neat and clean clothes
All the things should be properly placed and
well organized in the house, to ensure good luck.
Keep cash and jewelry in the safe or locker
which opens in the north.