We find that some temples are
progressive and some continue to have declining status
and mishaps. The non adherence to temple vastu can be
a major reason in the state of affairs. The following
are some salient points.
Vaastu Tips For Temple
* If the temple premises there are smaller
temples of other Gods, only the temple of Lord Hanuman, Lord
Dakhinamurty and the Goddess Kali can have face towards the south.
* Lotus ponds in front of the temple should be in the north-east
* Before entering the temple premises, on the south side, there
should be an arrangement for keeping shoes and to the east
arrangements should be made for water to drink and to wash the
feet and hands etc. The bathrooms should be in the east.
* The plot of the temple should be square or rectangular in shape.
* Compound wall around the temple in all the four directions is
very essential. Entrance gate on the east side of the compound
wall is the best. Entrance gate on the north side is tolerable. It
is very auspicious to have four entrance gates to the main temple
building. At least one in the east and one in the north if there
are two gates and if there is only one it should be in the east.
Only it should not be in the south direction. The main entrance
gate should be taller than other doors and should be decorated.
* There should be a window to the east of the sanctuary such that
sunrays fall unobtrusively on the idol from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. There
should be no room behind the sanctuary. There should be
arrangement for circumambulation around the temple and the
* The sanctuary of the main God should be at a
higher level from the ground. The devotees should not touch the
* If such places are situated on a tall hill or mountain, the
population is thin. This helps in maintaining the austerity of the
God. The shadow of the temple should not fall on other buildings.
In front of the temple there should be no building of any type.
These objectives are fulfilled on a hill or mountain.
* Marriage ceremony and any other ceremony should not be performed
in the temple premises. If at all they are performed, it should be
in the open space around the temple in the west or in the south
* God owns and shops should be in the north-west part, Water
storage tanks, wells etc. should be in the north-east part,
Kitchen, rest houses etc. should be in the south-east portion.
* Charity boxes or pots in the temple should be in the east or the
north. The divine gift place should be in the east or the
* The bell should not be in the sanctuary. It should be outside
* If there is a sea, river, tank etc. in the east or the north
direction, such a plot is, the best place. Because of this, there
is natural slope in the east or the north directions.